Norfolk Mini Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2009 Police Gala Show - CANCELLED

5 posters

Go down

2009 Police Gala Show - CANCELLED Empty 2009 Police Gala Show - CANCELLED

Post by norfolkminis Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Saw this in the news today, such a shame as it was a good way for the club to promote itself.

Hopefully something can be arranged as a replacement event and the cops can go back to their speed traps Mad
norfolkminis
norfolkminis
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2007-09-24

http://classic cooper sport. Focus RS

Back to top Go down

2009 Police Gala Show - CANCELLED Empty Re: 2009 Police Gala Show - CANCELLED

Post by Keith Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Ah yes, I heard this the other night too. Apparently it's too popular!?
Keith
Keith
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1496
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Nicholls Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:11 pm

I am sure we can find something else to go to on that weekend, but the Police Gala will be missed as it was a good recruiting ground.
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2007-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:43 pm

From the old Bill website
Norfolk Police Gala Day will be undergoing a facelift this year.

In keeping with Norfolk Constabulary's pledge to get closer to its communities, Gala Day will have a new look in 2009.

Instead of one mammoth event at the Norfolk Showground, the Constabulary is looking to organise a smaller event or series of events that are more in tune with communities – with a local, rather than county, feel.

Explained Anne Campbell spokesperson for the Constabulary and the lead on communications and public affairs:

"Police Gala Day has been a huge amount of fun but it was time to review. One of the issues is the sheer size of the event and the challenges that organising an event on that scale brings.

"The event has outgrown its original objectives and we need to re-focus on how we connect with the people we serve.

"We want the public to want to find out more about how their police service works and we plan opportunities that will enable them to take a closer look at what we do and how we do it.

"Neighbourhood policing is now firmly embedded in Norfolk. More people are getting to know who their local officers are and this is something we want to extend. It points to more local activities that are community based rather than one big event."

Although it means the end of an era for the police and car rally partnership, the Constabulary looks forward to continuing to work with BBC Radio Norfolk in 2009 at the new venue or venues .

BBC Radio Norfolk would like to thank Norfolk Police for many years of happy collaboration with an event that has turned into a huge celebration of our motoring past. With the timely change in the Police's approach to their Gala Day it does mean that The Old Car Rally, which began in 1981, will come to an end in its current form. BBC Radio Norfolk's Editor, David Clayton, began the event when he was a Sunday morning presenter on the station,

"I never thought the Old Car Rally would run beyond the first year, but 27 rallies further on, the event has grown far beyond its original intention into a major celebration of transport from far outside the county boundaries. With Norfolk Police re-focussing on their Gala Day activities, it's a chance to look again at how we reflect Norfolk's love of classic cars. As a radio station we plan to be out and about this summer at many of the county's major events and I'm sure some of those will feature classic cars."

The BBC Radio Norfolk Old Car Rally started as an event on its own, but combined with the Police Gala Day in 1984. Over the years more classic vehicles like buses, commercial vehicles and car clubs have joined in the Police Gala Day.

David Clayton is hopeful a major transport heritage event will still take place.

"There are plans for a similar event being talked about which will hopefully pick up on the spirit started by the Police Gala Day and Old Car Rally. If it happens and we hope it does, BBC Radio Norfolk will be there broadcasting.

Seems like a money issue to me, but, what do I know? The bit about Neighbourhood policing being firmly embedded in Norfolk and us all knowing our local copper made me titter. The only interaction I have with them is a rates bill once a year.

Good news that somebody else may run with the ball, i would prefere the show if it was a purer classic event!
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Male Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkminis Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 pm

talking to Lee today apparently the scooby club are thinking of organising a charity owners club day for the same wkend if plans and costs go to plan.

One to keep an eye on.
norfolkminis
norfolkminis
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkminis Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:08 pm

norfolkminis
norfolkminis
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:49 pm

I think the organisers are being a tad greedy with the club stand prices and the requirements to pay this far in advance.
I say we hold off on this one and see how it pans out. They may have to rethink their policies if other clubs feel the same way.
I mean for christs sake who can really say if their classic is still going to be showable six months in advance?
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Male Number of posts : 1872

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle&Lee Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Yes the Police Gala Day is now called Norfolk Gala Day it is going to be bascally the same, I feel!! However I have emailed the organiser and he says we can book a stand without paying for the cars, however I need to give him final figures and payment in July.

They have a mini stunt team to mark the 50th Birthday of the mini, they say that we may be able to do a parade around the ring, but this will be confirmed nearer to the time.
Michelle&Lee
Michelle&Lee

Female Number of posts : 468

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down