Norfolk Mini Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP

5 posters

Go down

1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP Empty 1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP

Post by muddychris Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 pm

The indicators have just stopped working. Non of the indicators work and neither do the idicator lights on the dash board.

Looking at the Haynes it say that there are 5 fuses in the fusebox but mine only hold four. I have replaced them but this has made no difference.

I have piulled the cowling off around the steering collum to see if there is any obvious there but it looks ok to me.

Any Ideas where to look next?

Cheers

Chris

muddychris

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP Empty Re: 1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP

Post by wingnut Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:27 pm

possible the spade cnnecters on the flasher unit under bonnet on the bulkead .THIS SHOULD BE APROX 1 IN alloy cube
wingnut
wingnut
Mini Mad

Male Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP Empty Re: 1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP

Post by wingnut Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:30 pm

or just earthing to bulkhead ?
wingnut
wingnut
Mini Mad

Male Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Sounds like the flasher unit is dead!!!

Do the hazards work?
Woody
Woody

Male Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkminis Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:40 pm

as Woody says check the flasher unit. Found dangling under the dashboard by the steering collum.

1 will be the flasher and 1 is a hazard.

Failing that check your earth points.
norfolkminis
norfolkminis
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2007-09-24

http://classic cooper sport. Focus RS

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Swap the flasher units over. If the problem moves from the indicators to the hazards its the unit
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Male Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by muddychris Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:38 am

The flasher unit under (alloy cube) under the bonnet on the bulk head is for the hazards which do work.

I have found cylinder unit hanging just near the steering collum (Is this a flasher unit). It doesn't say flasher unit on it like the one under the bonnet. I have put the cube from the hazards into the cylinders fittings but it has made no difference the indicators still don't work. The wiring all looks to be ok

I really appriciate the replys

Cheers

Chris

muddychris

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkminis Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:10 pm

only other one I had with my indicators was behind the grille theres a bunch of bullet type connectors (may even be butt connectors) you can get a dodgy connection here.
norfolkminis
norfolkminis
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2007-09-24

http://classic cooper sport. Focus RS

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 pm

pull the streering colum cover off and check you've got a suppy to the switch. Probley going to start getting a multimetre out and finding out where the electrickery stops
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Male Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:09 pm

The hazard switch can cause this problem when it gets old and worn.
The switch cancels out the power from the stalks through its internal action when they are on and when the switch gets old, even though its in the off position the internals can still cancel the power.

Although it does sound like the flasher unit, this is always something to keep in mind as I have seen people spend weeks trying to find this fault.

Good luck with it

Back to top Go down

Post by muddychris Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:35 pm

The Hazards flasher unit seems to be fine, but i'm not sure that I have found the indicators flasher. I have found a round alloy cylinder with two wires hanging down near the steering collum. I,m unable at the moment to fit this into the Hazard flasher fitting. It doesn't seem to measure up. So maybe i haven't found the right bit

Ho Hum

Cheers

Chris

muddychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:40 pm

You could always use hand signals lol.1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP 751325

Back to top Go down

Post by muddychris Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Studdy snr wrote:You could always use hand signals lol.1991 Mini Neon Indicators not working HELP 751325

I could get locked up for giving the old bill hand signals

muddychris

Back to top Go down

Post by muddychris Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:06 pm

I bought a new flasher unit today but it has not made any difference. I have checked the wires and the connectors but they all seem to be fine. I also pulled the cowling away from the steering collum and checked the wires and connections there. They all seem fine.

I dont really know how the use a multimeter (bit too technical for me).

If someone could point to the right wiring diagram in the haynes manual then that may help. My mini is a 1991 1 liter . In the book it says that the post 1988 wiring diagram has five fuses in the fuse box. Mine only has four. I have found another fuse under the dash but that seems to be ok aswell. Are there any others?

Cheers

Chris

muddychris

Back to top Go down

Post by muddychris Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am

Update

I have confirmed that there is power coming from the fusebox. But i'm not getting any power to either the stalk or the flasher unit.

Does the wiring go from the fuse box to the flasher unit or the stalk first?

Cheers

Chris

muddychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down