Norfolk Mini Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project.

Go down

Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. Empty Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project.

Post by BeardedMidget Mon May 16, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi, Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. 751325 and hello from new member in Saham Hills, Watton. I've been away from Mini's for about 8years after moving on from my beloved 1991 Cooper. Since then I've had Capri's, Jag's and most recently Mazda MX5's culminating in my current red mk1 which I modified with my own custom turbo conversion. I've enjoyed the little red rocket but my wife and I are having our first baby in November which has decreeed my next project will have to be of a budget nature and have 4 seats. Therefore I have decided to go back to a my first love of Mini's.
So I bought myself this little chap:-

Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. 002-5
Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. 001-6
Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. 003-5
Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. 0012

Its a 1979 Mini 1000 but has had an 1100cc unit fitted at some point. Last on the road in 1994 and dry stored in a barn ever since. It cost me 100 including delivery (although it was only in Carbrooke-about 3miles from my house) and came with a pair of rust free doors, a bonnet, a boot lid and a box of various oily spares. It looks bloody awful to be honest but its not actually as bad as it seems. The usual outer sill/front floorpan/bootfloor/rear subframe repairs will have to be carried out but it is by no means rotten. The inner sills, flitch panels, bulkhead, scuttle and rear floors all seem pretty solid. In fact I have seen more rotten ones patched up and MOT'd. The front end has recieved a bit of a whack at some point too which I think is why the car was taken off the road originally. Someone has started to replace the passenger wing (badly) and then given up. My plans are'nt finalised yet but i'm leaning towards a clubman 2 piece flip front to replace the damaged front panels, some fat retro wheels and orange/black paint!. When I got it the car did'nt run and had no keys so I spent a bit of time changing the ignition barrel, servicing the engine and fitting an electronic distributor. I was extremely happy when it fired up and ran beautifully(albeit with a rattly timing chain and leaky water pump). The plan is to sort the rust out, tidy it up a bit, clean up and stage 1 tune the current engine and enjoy the car as a rolling project but I think eventually I might miss the feel of a turbo engine and build a forced induction unit for it. Work will start in a few weeks when I have a bit of time-for now I am just collecting a few parts and idea's. Had a good few weeks going to himley hall mini show and Beaulieu autojumble. I hope to go to the Norfolk show too.
Thanks for reading,
Alex (neither bearded or a midget) Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. 339330

BeardedMidget

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-04-02

Back to top Go down

Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. Empty Re: Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project.

Post by norfolkminis Mon May 16, 2011 9:04 pm

welcome.

your just up the rd from me. I'm in sporle and theres a couple others on here from swaffham.

looks like a good little project

craig

Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2007-09-24

http://classic cooper sport. Focus RS

Back to top Go down

Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. Empty Re: Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project.

Post by Dan Mon May 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Hello, and welcome!

I'm one of the Swaffham folk on here, but my girlfriend lives in Saham Toney, so local.

Very good project you've got there, keep us posted on the restoration.

Dan
Dan
Dan
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1479
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Mon May 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Welcome to the forum! Looks like the Mini is going to keep you busy!
Keith
Keith
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1496
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by BeardedMidget Tue May 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks for the friendly greeting guys. Its nice to know there are few fellow local mini nuts-I look forward to meeting a few of you! I will certainly keep posting stuff as the project goes on. I have a motorbike and a reliant scimitar to sell first though to clear a bit of space for the Mini but I hope to get started in the next month or so.

BeardedMidget

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Tue May 17, 2011 1:25 pm

BeardedMidget wrote:Alex (neither bearded or a midget)

That's a shame, we've got Harry in our club who suits that description, I thought he'd have a new friend.. Razz Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. 1435
Dan
Dan
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1479
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by wingnut Thu May 19, 2011 9:08 pm

good luck with the project and on here is plenty of help with invo of almost all mini related subjects . and yar might not miss the turbo etc .when you are back in the driving seat of the mini Razz
wingnut
wingnut
Mini Mad

Male Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by mr t Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am

Hello and welcome to the forum looks like you will busy with your new project.Its great to see another classic mini being done up and getting back on the road.If you do miss the sound of a turbo as do i you could always go down that route with the mini.
mr t
mr t
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by BeardedMidget Tue May 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone! Not much progress on the mini this week except I drove it up into the garage and removed some of the interior trim then had a bit of a good old poke about underneath with a screwdriver-touch wood still not found anything too worrying! Looks like i've been quite lucky to find a reasonably sound base for a project. I'll take some detailed pictures this weekend.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if dogs are allowed at the Fakenham Mini show this weekend?
As you can see my rotty Ozzy is also a Mini fan! Laughing
Hi from new member in Watton. Check out my new project. 006-4

BeardedMidget

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 am

I think dogs are allowed, as long as they're kept on leads and under control. I'm pretty sure I've seen people with dogs there before. Don't think anyone's asked before...
Keith
Keith
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1496
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by mr t Wed May 25, 2011 9:53 am

Ive asked this question before camping and mini day is fine to take dogs but if your looking at doing the quiz on sat night they are not aloud in the race course bar.
mr t
mr t
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Wed May 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Agreed no dogs in the quiz.
They always cheat.

Dogs are welcome at the show but please bring POO bags

Last edited by johnnie on Wed May 25, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Male Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by BeardedMidget Wed May 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Cheers for the info' guys. Thats a big 10-4 on the poo bags. Wink I would'nt leave home without one (I hate portaloo's) Laughing

BeardedMidget

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down