Norfolk Mini Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's All Fun And Games......

4 posters

Go down

It's All Fun And Games...... Empty It's All Fun And Games......

Post by Ian Nicholls Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:14 pm

On May 6th 2007 yours truly went into Curry's on the Norwich ring road and bought a Sky + HD box. I paid an extra £119 for a Curry's "whateverhappens" customer support agreement which had a duration of 5 years. I took this out as I thought it would be good value for money should the Sky box play up. The agreement stated.

"One number, one call.
If your product breaks down please see the information below regarding how to arrange a repair and call whateverhappens customer services on 0870 600 1550."

Fast forward to October 12th 2010 and my Sky HD box is kaput. I phone up Sky and they try to revive the corpse down the line to no avail. They tell me I need an engineer out and do I have a warranty. I say yes, one with Curry's. Sky tell me to phone Curry's. I phone Curry's customer services on 0870 600 1550. A recorded message tells me ,
"this number has not been recognised".
Undaunted, but not surprised at this , I smurf the internet for Curry's new customer service line. Eventually I find it and find myself going through numerous menus.
For TV's press 1
For audio press 2
For domestic appliances press 3
For wiring your genitals to the mains press 4
For Sky press 5.

I go for the Sky option. A recorded message tells me to redial 0844 2411411. I phone the new number to find it is Sky up in Scotland. I find myself going in circles. I smurf the net again and discover the new Curry's "whateverhappens" phone number . The first attempt fails as I am told again by a recorded message to phone Sky. The second attempt succeeds because I avoid the Sky option on the innumerable menus and get through to a human being. I quote my Curry's "whateverhappens" reference number and seem to make some progress, even though I get the feeling my records have been filed in some corporate skip. He tells me to phone Sky on another number. I phone Sky . The guy I speak to is very helpful , but I spend a lot of time on hold as he is probably communicating with Curry's, trying to find out if I exist, despite giving my reference number. Eventually Sky arrange for an engineer to come out . I got there in the end, but it wasn't straightforward after all. Is it me or am I fighting the rest of the world ?

Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2007-09-26

Back to top Go down

It's All Fun And Games...... Empty Re: It's All Fun And Games......

Post by Keith Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Strangely, on this occasion, It's not you!
Keith
Keith
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1496
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Nicholls Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:10 pm

There's more here...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?111767-Curry-s-whateverhappens-coverplan

The moral of the tale is that if a firm gives you a phone number , when you want to call them the number will have been changed ! Not that they will tell you .
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by mr t Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:46 am

Oh the joys of sky had soooooooooooooo many probs with them over the last 3 years.
I tend to go straight to terminating my line then they sort it out so much quicker and normally offer me a deal to stay eg free channel,money off
mr t
mr t
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Unfortunately 'extended warranties' are very rarely worth anything. It's how places like Currys, Comet, Argos, etc etc make their money. If you have accidental damage on your home contents insurance it normally covers more than any extended warranty does. I'd never buy one regardless of what any salesman claims.

On the thread you linked to Ian, people are saying that if a policy is called "whateverhappens" then it should be just that. Unfortunately "whateverhappens" is not a word. It looks like the two words "whatever" and "happens" and might lead you to believe that it means both of those words together but it doesn't. Clever (dishonest) advertising at it's best (worst).
Keith
Keith
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1496
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Nicholls Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:31 pm

I think most Sky customers are familiar with unplugging the box at the mains and then rebooting it. The Sky boxes have all the engineering integrity of a used teabag , which is why I was tempted by the Curry's service plan.
At the moment, while I am waiting for the awfully nice man from Sky to come and replace the box , I am using the internal terrestial digibox on my TV set. There is no comparison, the Sky box picture is miles better. I can't even get channel 5.
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by mr t Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Perhaps we can all share stories on how sh*t sky can be on sunday lol
mr t
mr t
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wingnut Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:15 pm

when i was offered currys extended warrante my reply was" Is this product that c?ap that i need it " good luck with it Ian
wingnut
wingnut
Mini Mad

Male Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Nicholls Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 pm

wingnut wrote:when i was offered currys extended warrante my reply was" Is this product that c?ap that i need it " good luck with it Ian

Why didn't I think of that ?
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down