Norfolk Mini Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ian will be mini-less for a short time.....

+6
Dan
Ian Nicholls
johnnie
wingnut
norfolkminis
gumball
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ian will be mini-less for a short time..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ian will be mini-less for a short time.....

Post by gumball Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Ian Nicholls wrote:that would be telling......

I like "Secret" plans...... we sound like the Nazi's....... affraid
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Ian will be mini-less for a short time..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ian will be mini-less for a short time.....

Post by Guest Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:39 pm

So do you still want that reversing light?

Close shave postie! Shocked

Glad you lived buddy, could have been nasty that one....

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Nicholls Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:16 pm

The latest is that I have contacted the insurance company, first at midday when they promised to phone me back, which they didn't and then I phoned them at 5-30pm.
I am insured with Kinetic via HIC.
Kinetic want to use a salvage company to take my car away and then deal with me. I told them I wanted to keep the car and they send an engineer to inspect it. Tim assures me I have the right to insist on this.
Having narrowly avoided an appointment with the grim reaper I am determined to see H829FLE back on the road with the insurance companies help or not.
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2007-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Ian Nicholls wrote:The latest is that I have contacted the insurance company, first at midday when they promised to phone me back, which they didn't and then I phoned them at 5-30pm.
I am insured with Kinetic via HIC.
Kinetic want to use a salvage company to take my car away and then deal with me. I told them I wanted to keep the car and they send an engineer to inspect it. Tim assures me I have the right to insist on this.
Having narrowly avoided an appointment with the grim reaper I am determined to see H829FLE back on the road with the insurance companies help or not.

You have the right to salvage retention with HIC.

You must use the term salvage retention in the event of a write off.

You have right to retain YOUR vehicle and refuse collection from a salvage company.. Its YOUR car to do with as YOU wish. No insurance company can force collection upon you.

Back to top Go down

Post by gumball Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 pm

Yes i second that..

I have spoken to a friend in the insurance industry and he comferms that you have the right to keep on to your car regardless of damage..

stick to your guns Mr Ian.....
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:51 pm

Just be carefull as to what cat. they place it under.
Cats C + D are returnable to the road, Cats A + B are not.
as your damage is quite extensive i woulkd guess at it being Cat C. I believe that requires an engineers report before returning to use.
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Male Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by gumball Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Yes we are hoping for a Cat C has this will simplify it..

We are reshelling so i dont thing we need an Engineers report as its a straight shell...??

Unless im wrong...??

I will find out..
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Sorry this explains it much better (DVLA web-site)

Categories Of Write-Off

An explanation of the categories of write-off are listed below:

Category A
A vehicle which should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.
Category B
A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.
Category C
An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category D
A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category F
A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.
Theft
These vehicles have not been recovered and ownership rests with the insurer who made the total loss payment. They are able to repossess the car as soon as it is identified, even if it has been bought innocently.

Vehicles categorised as A, B or C require a VIC test before the DVLA will issue a new registration document. This will then be noted on the V5C.

Always has been a mine field, and I used to break vehicles for a living!!!!!!!!!!!! Ofcourse, we were a lot more dodgy in the motorbike world. Ian will be mini-less for a short time..... - Page 2 813589

So reading that I;d say it might need a VIC check if its a C and you want to keep its reg plate. On saying that the checks really are nothing to worry about, they always seemed more concerned about ringers than standards of repair (not that I expect that to be an issue)

Last edited by johnnie on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkminis Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:58 pm

good luck!! I had the pleasure with dealing with HIC. (never again!!) my car was a CAT A though!!
norfolkminis
norfolkminis
Mini Addict

Male Number of posts : 3510
Registration date : 2007-09-24

http://classic cooper sport. Focus RS

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm suprised at that Craig.
Cat A is normally only for Fatals, Written off more than once or disputed ownership/history.
I know yours was a right mess but it would normally go CAT B salvage. You should have seen the state of some of the bikes I used to buy, but you can always salvage an amount of parts.
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Back to top Go down

Post by gumball Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 pm

I agree Johnnie.....But in the past i have put 3 Cat C's back on the road with just a fresh MOT, but we will first see what they say..??

Its no hassel if we cant use the Reg number as long as we can have the bits..ie engine brakes, all the interior etc..
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:45 pm

The law got a lot tighter around 2-3 years ago.
I had to have a guy round inspecting frames that I was selling with a log book at one point.

I supose it gets rid of the scoundrals (No, I don't do it any more)
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Back to top Go down

Post by gumball Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:46 pm

johnnie wrote:The law got a lot tighter around 2-3 years ago.
I had to have a guy round inspecting frames that I was selling with a log book at one point.

I supose it gets rid of the scoundrals (No, I don't do it any more)

lol.......I think we will all learn from Mr Ians mishap...??
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by MattFinnish Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:26 pm

My Rio as you see it in my signature picture is a Cat D. The Bulldog from the TV ads wouldn't insure it without an engineer's report. Some companies would cover it if it had a fresh MOT but Swinton covered it regardless (at a higher rated premium).

Yes Ian stick to your flintlocks and don't let the nasty salvage man take FLE to the Crv5h£r. It is your car and the insurance company provide you with a legally required service. They do not have title to the goods which are (is) FLE.

Matthew
MattFinnish
MattFinnish

Male Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:07 pm

This may throw a spanner into the works.

If the car is a cat c it will require a VIC.

A VIC will look into the identification of the vehicle, if you are planning to re-shell Ians car then to retain the original regstration you will need a BRAND NEW shell and not a second hand one.
If you re-build the car from a second hand shell and used parts from differing vehicles to the shell the VIC will fail in this case.
You do NOT get two chances at a VIC. 1 fail is all you get.

If you wish to rebuild Ians car into a second hand shell then the car WILL have to go on a Q regsitration no matter how many points you retain from the original vehicle.

There are ways to avoid this but its risky.

Back to top Go down

Post by gumball Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Ineresting.....
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Nicholls Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:03 pm

Well the resurrection began today.
We picked up a 1275 Metro engined Mini Flame from Lowestoft and a body shell from David Black Mini's.
Gumball will fill you in on the details.
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gumball Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Here we go then.........Mr Ian new Temporary RIDE.....

note the extra wide wheel s from Carlis Fandango...lol
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:13 pm

That looks in fair shape, I need two pairs of front chrome arches if you end up breaking it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Nicholls Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Shaun
I think you will be more interested in David Black's Alladins cave. He has several bodyshells, we merely took the best one......
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gumball Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Ian Nicholls wrote:Shaun
I think you will be more interested in David Black's Alladins cave. He has several bodyshells, we merely took the best one......

Here is said "Alladins Cave......
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Ian will be mini-less for a short time..... - Page 2 Empty wish I had a garage like that.....

Post by david eastaugh Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Is the clubby estate any good mine has the same appearance as a collander.....

postie,

next time bigger brakes sticky tyres then bigger engine....

david eastaugh

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by gumball Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:44 pm

david eastaugh wrote:Is the clubby estate any good mine has the same appearance as a collander.....

postie,

next time bigger brakes sticky tyres then bigger engine....

From what we could see it looked in good order..

Do you want David Blacks contact details....??
gumball
gumball
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by david eastaugh Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm

not sure...

I really miss having a mini - the roads up here in the peak district would be perfect for one.

but....

theres already two waiting in norfolk for me to sort out even if the clubby is trying to become a complete basket case.

the 79 ex-city some members may remember 'caruthers' blue-white roof 21 on the doors is first in line for a rebuild - but need to have it up here to do any serious work on it.

also having a wife who would prefer I spent money on refitting the bathroom rather than another car......

on the other hand it never hurts to ask and I could claim to the wife its just me going through a mid life crisis. Smile

Go on then

Sorry to sound really thick but seeing as I've been in the land of flat cap and wippets for a few years who is mr black?

David 'Seesaw'

david eastaugh

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Nicholls Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:47 pm

David Black is a bearded man with the Bury Mini club.
Ian Nicholls
Ian Nicholls
Mini Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next