Norfolk Mini Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cancer UK

3 posters

Go down

Cancer UK Empty Cancer UK

Post by olosteve Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:38 am

I noticed that we donated to, Cancer UK for the Southwold event.
My personal opinion is that in future  the club should stick to the charities that are outlined in the, Membership Pack.
They are East Anglian Air Ambulance, local children's charities and the RNLI.
Does anyone share my feelings on this?

olosteve

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-05-12

Back to top Go down

Cancer UK Empty Re: Cancer UK

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:30 pm

I might be talking out of term here but it was done in memory of club members families who have been recently affected by cancer. And most of the other monies raised are donated to the ones published.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:42 pm

In answer to your question I would suggest the overwhelming response is no. I think we would genuinely struggle to find anybody who took the time to organise, attend or contribute to this or any of our other events would have the slightest issue with donating to either of these charities.
The charities listed in the membership pack are indicative of those we support, and are certainly not exhaustive in any way. The committee are always happy to consider issues that are arising within the club and will react to support anything they consider the club is in a position to do so.
You are of course untitled to your personal opinion, but in this case you are a million miles out of step with the club committee and general membership.
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Male Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Cancer UK Empty Google

Post by olosteve Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Please Google, Cancer UK scam.

olosteve

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi Steve, I have as you suggested, Googled Cancer UK scam but it doesn't really bring back anything of any credibility.  All I got were links to some blogs by blatant conspiracy theorists all using similar paragraphs and sentences to argue their point.  They all seem to question where the money goes that is donated to the charity and how many people's lives have been saved.    

Firstly the complaint is that a lot of the money is spent on employee wages.  It's true money is given to people who work for the charity, but I can assure you that salaries in the third sector are nothing like those enjoyed by employees in comparable positions in private and public companies.  

On to the point of how many lives have been saved, well, Cancer Research UK as its name suggests, funds research - it doesn't fund prescriptions.  Having studied chemistry at university I have friends who work in the pharmaceutical industry and others who have taken research positions at universities and I know at least two of them have received significant grants from Cancer Research UK to further their work in this field.  And that's just those that I know of - it doesn't tend to be the topic of conversation when I speak to them.  My friends in the industry or post-graduate positions account for a minuscule percentage of the thousands involved in cancer research in this country, let alone the world so I imagine the sums given to the field as a whole to be huge.

Their research does achieve tangible and quantifiable results - only in the past year the percentage of people who survive cancer passed 50% for the first time. Since the 1970s, this figure has doubled. Has this been down to Cancer Research UK on their own? No, of course not. It's the result of scientific research all over the world by pharmaceutical companies, universities and private individuals. Who by the way, do not already have cures that they're not releasing because they make so much money from their existing drugs and treatments - they would stand to make considerably more money from a cure for any particular cancer let alone a panacea.

So please, Google Peer Reveiwed Cancer Research UK.
Keith
Keith
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1496
Registration date : 2007-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnie Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:06 pm

Keith has responded in a far more measured way than I am prepared to.
I really do question your motives in starting a thread objecting to a donation that has been made by this club.
Real people have been and are being effected by these issues. Using this this as a soapbox for your own misplaced objections is internet trolling at it's worse and is insulting to those who have tried (in all be it a small way) to make a difference.
Lets close this thread here shall we.
You played no part in organising the event, you didn't attend the event and made no contribution. It hasn't affected you in the slightest.
The club is run for it's members by a elected committee. The AGM is coming up, if you're not happy with the things we do, by all means stand up and put yourself forward.
johnnie
johnnie
I'm special I am.

Male Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum